Monday, August 18, 2014

Haiti : Day 8

The following is a transcript of my journal entries chronicling the events of my first mission trip (with wife in tow) to Croix Des Bouquets, Haiti:


June 23 / 2014
Day 8, Monday


We rose with our hearts and minds focused on home; ready to be reunited with the varying people and places with which we are so familiar. It’s strange to me; now that the “work” is done my desires have so quickly shifted from reaching the Haitian people to getting home. How fickle our hearts can be!

We collectively made our way through the routines of security, customs, and immigration. As we waited for our scheduled flight time; looking around I realize that somehow I’m going to miss all these “strangers” that I've spent the last week with. I've made connections and found friendship among kindred spirits. It pains me that relationships that started so beautifully will be so quickly terminated. When I leave these people, I will leave a small piece of me with them.

The "Holland" Team members. 

My wife and I with a few of the "Detroit" Team members.

These; my fellow travelers, my brother’s and sister’s in arms; I will long for the presence of their spirits for many days to come. Should our paths ever again cross, in that moment I am confident that the missing piece of my heart will be returned to me.

No comments: