Friday, August 22, 2014

Haiti : (Day 14) Update

The following is a transcript of my journal entries chronicling the events of my first mission trip (with wife in tow) to Croix Des Bouquets, Haiti:


June 29 / 2014
[Update], Sunday


Thursday night found me hospitalized from what started as flu like symptoms and escalated to a fever that placed me into a state of delirium worthy of an ambulance ride to our local hospital. I later found out that my symptoms were the result of dual contributors of dehydration and an intestinal bacterial infection.

My hospitalization lasted until Saturday afternoon before I was finally released. I’m now just regaining my strength after this health relapse; taking antibiotics and transitioning back to “solid” foods are my natural priorities right now. This was quite alarming for all involved, especially my sweet little wife. I am however thankful for the support my natural and spiritual family gave both myself and my wife during this challenge.

Given the reports of this experience, the “big” question from many is this; “would I do it all over again?” well the short answer is – yes, yes I would. What we did for the kingdom of God in Haiti, and what God did in our own hearts is worth far more than any temporary infirmity, I and others of the team may have experienced. To clarify, I know I am not called to “go and stay”; but I do believe in a general sense that all believers (myself included) are called to “go”. While the mission field may not be my final destination, it is one of the many required stops on the path set before me.

So would I go back to Haiti? Would I go to another land should God call me? I can only answer with the question; would Peter again walk on the waters if Christ beckoned him? I believe he would; and therein is my answer.

No comments: