Friday, August 1, 2014

Haiti : Day 5

The following is a transcript of my journal entries chronicling the events of my first mission trip (with wife in tow) to Croix Des Bouquets, Haiti:


June 20 / 2014
Day 5, Friday


Last night’s crusade was so full of exuberant joy it was contagious, I couldn't help but get caught up in the fervor of praise and worship. I believe this was an extension of our afternoon outing where we set aside the skits and “ministry” and just had fun interacting with the people. These seeds of joy translated to a higher level of praise and worship than previous nights. We all danced with the people (and I was razzed some on account of my display), prayed some, but mostly entered into praise as one large body; Haitian and American, black and white, all crying out to Jesus with joyous expression. The Haitian people are capable of so much joy, and dance; it is a stark contrast from the hopeless expressions seen during the day in the markets and squares.

Mandy's friends from the pastors conf.
Today’s schedule was more of the same; Pastors’ conference, street ministry, and crusade. However our team’s time at the pastors’ conference was cut short due to a transportation shortage. This minor hiccup did give our team some extra time to rest / relax and afforded Maranda and I time to fellowship with Cindy Williams.

This young man found us at every crusade gathering.

More of Mandy's friends.
Tonight’s crusade followed the same as the previous night as to exuberant praise. Yet during the ministry time the gathering “broke down” in that (as best as I can put it) a spirit of distraction entered in. it was visible to all the leaders. Pastor Joe Wentering rallied the teams to intercession, and when we were released to pray we saw great fruit. Some suggested that the cause for this was the presence of a local witch doctor. As I had the “privilege” of standing next to this person all I can say is that while I could sense an unclean spirit around him, the presence we ushered in was so strong as to make the unclean forces of no threat. My feelings were later confirmed by others from our team as well. While the presence of this witch doctor may have been a factor, my personal suspicions as to the true source of this opposition lie elsewhere. We would find later that this would not be our last run in with this type of spiritual opposition.

No comments: