Tuesday, January 28, 2014

“Speak life”.

Last night I was online looking for some old military surplus items I could easily convert to day hike bags for my two young sons. Thinking about all the things I will say to them while were “in the field” affirming words, equipping examples from my own life, and not to mention a host of exaggerated tales. These thoughts led me to recall one of our past men’s ministry events at our local church.

I was not scheduled to speak that day so I assisted in greeting and registering the day’s guests. Much to my surprise a young man showed up at the registration table, he must have noticed my quizzical expression (as these events are typically attended by much older gentlemen) and hence his response caught me somewhat off guard. The young man clearly stated that he “was a man now” and would be attending these events today as well as in the future! (I believe he was 14 or 15 years old). At the time I must have thought it was “funny” or “cute”. Really I just dismissed his statement and let him go on about his business. And that brings me to today; in hindsight I think I missed something. I think I missed a moment to speak into this young man’s life.

You see the nature of his statement almost seemed to be a cry for male affirmation. I say this because I later found out that he came from a single parent home, no fatherly interaction to speak of, asking his mother to drop him off at the church that day. Here is this young man standing before me, eager to join the fellowship of men, his brothers - in the faith, boldly declaring his “worth” to enter; and my response? – Nothing. No acknowledgement of his budding manhood. No affirmation of acceptance from a fellow man. Just a wave and a nod that speaks: “keep moving son – I have more important things to concern myself with”.

For me this underscores the responsibility of not only those in some form of leadership, of not only those who profess faith in Christ, but a responsibility – if for no other reason; as men to speak life to all we encounter. It would've been a simple thing for me to speak a small word of affirmation, to show this young man he is accepted among a community of believers, accepted into the male brotherhood. Words such as these need not be false; for it is said that by ones late teens to early twenties they are practically the man they will be. Maybe lacking some experience and maturity, but the core “man” is there, established for all time. I believe we all are being shaped by those around us and I am reminded through this lesson that I hold a sacred trust to speak life to those who need it (and we all need it) to do my part to help mold and shape the next generation. For if I do not speak, someone else will; and strange voices have shipwrecked many a man.

This has been a valuable lesson for me personally. Yet it has come at a high price, for sadly this young man doesn't come to our men’s ministry events anymore. I tell myself that there could be any number of reasons as to why in an attempt to justify myself. But if I’m honest I am forced to ask myself “if I was that young man – would I return?”


Luther.

No comments: