Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Haiti : Day 1

The following is a transcript of my journal entries chronicling the events of my first mission trip (with wife in tow) to Croix Des Bouquets, Haiti:


June 16 / 2014
Day 1, Monday


We arrived at the airport around 3:45 pm, met the team, and begun the slow waltz of navigating airport security. Still nervous about the flight; I’m consoling myself with the idea that if something happens, I’m doing God’s work and somehow that should earn some “holy brownie points” enough to enter those pearly gates, (as if a works based faith model actually had merit). And if the plane falls out of the sky, bursts into flames, or is suddenly infested by snakes; my memory will live on in infamy – at least for the several weeks of news coverage; so much for consolation.

I thought moving out of my comfort zone would be easier to handle, somehow more comfortable, but that really doesn't work does it. So as I prepare to ride in the ominous steel tube to a place I do not know, I am reminded of all the times that I faced strange new worlds of experience and the Lord saw me through. I have every expectation that this time will be no different. Yet again it’s time to put my personal faith to the test, to see if I really believe what I claim to.

[11:38 pm] Touch down. Despite my apprehension the flight was uneventful save for the cramped quarters. My fears now proving to be unwarranted, it is now time to settle in for our 8+ hour layover. Sleeping in any nook and cranny that we could secure for ourselves we found little relief for our weariness. It’s curious that I find my concern for my wife’s needs and comfort somehow bleeding over to the other ladies in the group. It seems that those who cannot rest should serve. Either that or some resident compassion deep within is beginning to stir. But for the sake of appearances we will assume the former.

No comments: