Monday, March 17, 2014

“Unexpected change”.

It’s interesting how changes go unnoticed. One day we look up and realize a thing has transformed and instantly were confronted with the new, finding ourselves completely unprepared for the ramifications of that change.

It was just the other day that this type of change struck me. Coming home I fully expected the same routine; pull in driveway – open door – wife fussing about in kitchen – kids making their way to the door to greet me. Yet this day was different; before I could make my way to the kitchen to kiss the wife, I was greeted by another young woman! Who was this? And that’s when the change revealed itself – it was my oldest daughter that was greeting me. In that moment I saw the emerging woman she is becoming, hidden behind a thin veil of youth. I had noticed (like any father does) the physical changes of a maturing body, her new found interest in clothing, and our next foray to the vacant parking lot where I let her get behind the wheel of my truck. I was aware of these things; but this particular moment as I stood not in front of a little girl but an emerging young woman all I could think was, “that was fast”. Facing this new reality I realize how few and short the years are left to pour into her life the fatherly love and wisdom that will help guide her. I wonder if this is why people resist change, why we oppose the unknown.

O.k. why am I sharing this? Let me try to make a bible connection with the following verse;

Isaiah 43:19 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
Look, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you not see it? Indeed, I will make a way in the wilderness, rivers in the desert”.

Here the question is asked “do you not see it?” The query is rhetorical in nature, and suggests that this change is so obvious one cannot help but notice. Now to my point; do we as believers recognize the changes in our spiritual and corporate church culture? When God begins to move will we be in a position to recognize and more importantly act upon the reality of said changes? Or will we be like my example with my daughter; caught off guard finding ourselves with limited time to respond appropriately to a new reality?


Let us pray that we remain alert to the coming of the Groom!

Luther.

No comments: