Saturday, February 15, 2014

“Cold Fire”.

Jerimiah 12:2-3a


"They have been planted by you, they have taken root; they go on and give fruit: you are near in their mouths but far from their thoughts. But you, O Lord, have knowledge of me; you see me, searching and testing how my heart is with you...."


I've been going through a season of what I can only characterize as loss of passion. My internal fires have been hampered by winds of adversity and the dampness that comes with spiritual opposition. This causes me to reflect on the condition of my heart; especially as it relates to my spiritual allegiances. As my behavior is a clear indicator of this spiritual reality, I ask myself if I’m withdrawn in presence and affiliation just how far my heart has moved from the Lord. And if I were to be tested would I be found wanting?


I don’t want to be part of those who profess the Lord but whose heart is in reality far from Him.


I once took bricks from a demolition site; I took them to build a fire ring in my back yard, to create a place for family and friends to gather. In like fashion; I hope (I believe) the Lord can find "bricks" in me to build a place for new and fresh fire; a fire that warms cold hearts, a passion that is contagious. This is my hope of redemption from the oppressive forces of apathy and indifference.


And thus my simple prayer becomes, “Lord give me a new heart, a heart that is of the Spirit and not of the flesh, a pure heart set ablaze in your sight”.



Luther.

No comments: