Monday, February 24, 2014

“The cigarette prayers”.

Last night I watched a video by Bill Johnson entitled “Heaven invading earth”. In the video, Mr. Johnson made a statement that went something like this (I’m paraphrasing here) “The Lord answers all our prayers, except those which violate our purposes” (speaking of our purpose in the center of Gods will). This statement caused me to ponder some of the seasons of my life where my prayers were seemingly unanswered. One particular season I've labeled “The cigarette prayers”. This was a time in my life where I was not serving the Lord. I was living for self, given to all manner of vile activity. Yet it was during these times that after a hard day of self-absorbed living I would lay in my bed, with the last smoke of the day becoming the incense of my supplications and cry out to the God I refused to serve. (I find it curious that compared to other seasons my prayer life may have been stronger apart from serving God). These prayers typically were comprised of me responding to the guilt of a wayward life. And always ended with some form of the following statement: “Lord; take my soul, for if I keep it I will destroy it – keep it for me until I meet you – may I meet you soon”.

It was in this season that I truly believe I was looking for a way out, an escape. I was crying out to a God I didn't know, or better to say a God I refused to know. Asking him to take me; to remove me from my circumstances’ and sin. In that place I believed that it would've been desirable to fall asleep and never wake. This was the heart of those prayers. And yet the Lord mercifully never answered that prayer. In hindsight it has become obvious to me that God’s plan for my life transcended my then morbid escapist mentality.

Mr. Johnson’s statement has helped me refine my perspective on that long dead season, as well as causing me to reflect on all those prayers that if answered would've violated my purpose and destiny in Christ. While we may not always receive answers to certain prayers; and while this may cause us some difficulty, it is an act of God’s sovereign grace. For had my requests been honored; I may have awaken only to find myself dead. In this context I can say thank God for unanswered prayer!



Luther.

No comments: