Monday, April 14, 2014

“The path”.

Two years ago. – I was at one of our men’s ministry camping retreats. I awoke early, before everyone else. The sun not fully risen and me trekking along a manicured trail hoping to catch The Spirit unawares, as if I was stalking an animal. I remember that morning; the still, the quiet, the isolation of a man alone in the woods. I remember my father telling me that the early morning is the best time to “catch God”. And I think on that day and even now I still share that sentiment.


At some point I jumped trail and wandered into the darkened wood. You could feel the temperature difference compared to the trail. And it was here I noticed in a far corner, the emerging sun shining through the trees, beams from heaven to earth like some artist rendering. And so I approached; yet hesitated to walk into that light. I stood in the darkness of that wood; with the light right in front of me – waiting. I stood there, too long, then, to my inner man the Spirit spoke.


I didn't like what I was being told, mostly because it was a confirmation of what I had suspected about myself yet was unwilling to face – fear. It was all this that gave birth to my prayer that day.


Father,


My thoughts drift so far away, and I feel so isolated. You've shown me that I’m afraid, alone and un-prepared to go and to do – into your light. Help me; there is so much I want to do and to be in your kingdom. The little I have and am is not enough for my heart. Help me to be content until you bring me into your place of fullness for my life.


Amen, Amen”.

It seems like I’m so far from that day now; and yet there are times when the emotion of that day comes rushing upon me and I must remind myself that regardless of my feelings I am not alone. That we cannot gage the path while in the wood as effectively as we can from the hill. And so, wherever I am on the path, – I am preparing myself to step into the light.


One of these days I’ll rise early enough to “catch the Spirit of God”; until then, I’ll keep trying.


Luther.


No comments: