Sunday, May 24, 2015

"True Desire".


Song of Solomon 5:16a (NASB)

“His mouth is full of sweetness.
And he is wholly desirable....."

What does it mean to be wholly desirable?
We could talk about physicality, the attributes of the body that please the eye. We could discuss status, wealth and the attractiveness such power commands. We could talk of a host of things that make our own personal notions of desirability. I
 believe such talk to be a false economy, empty of substance. For beauty fades when ravaged by time. social standing and wealth have proven themselves to be fleeting commodities.

What truly is a "mouth full of  sweetness"; words spoken that bring life to others, words that heal, words that express genuine love. This desirable; this is the sweetness we crave, this is what we will hold to after everything else fades away, those words will carry us through the deepest valleys to the highest peaks.

Now the question; am I wholly desirable?
Do the words I speak taste of sweet waters, or does it offend the palette, reflecting an embittered soul?

And so my prayer becomes:
May my words draw others with sweetness. Let me abandon the militant retorts in favor of loving corrections, to lead and guide with the voice of a shepherd. Would my speech reflect the one whose name I bear, speaking as i have been spoken to. in this manner - let me be wholly desirable.

Luther.

No comments: